LSU and Ole Miss football players throw serious arcs at conference tournament

The Ole Miss Rebels and LSU Tigers soccer players were ejected from an SEC Tournament game on Sunday at Ashton Brosnaham Soccer Complex in Pensacola, Florida.

During the second overtime of an eventual 3-0 Ole Miss penalty shootout win, LSU’s Maya Gordon tried to steal the ball from the Rebels’ Ramsey Davis, who didn’t seem to like Gordon’s defense. Davis grabbed Gordon by the waist and then fists started flying, including teammates rushing across the court to get licked.

Davis and Gordon were throwing legitimate hay. It wasn’t a “hold me down” or “I’m about to knock you out” situation; they were swinging from the jump. It was a senior (Gordon) and a junior (Davis) who lost their cool in the conference tournament, it was big. You expect your upperclassman and team leaders to set the tone and be balanced.

In the video, you see Gordon’s teammate Rammie Noel come off screen and focus on Davis, defending Gordon. Congratulations on defending your teammate. Wrong place to do it.

All three women received red cards and were sent off. A red card results in a one-game suspension. Davis will miss Ole Miss’s next game in the SEC Tournament. Gordon and Noel will miss LSU’s opener of the NCAA Tournament.

After the women were ejected from the field and play resumed, LSU was forced to play with nine players and Ole Miss with 10. Although one team had a few fewer players on the field, the overtime period s still finished 0-0.

The penalty shootout began with Ole Miss shooting first. Mo O’Connor approached the line for the Rebels and shot to his left but was denied by goalkeeper Mollee Swift, who guessed correctly. Shannon Cooke came on first for LSU, but her shot to the left was stopped by goaltender Ashley Orkus and the score was 0-0 after a round of penalties.

Kayla Chatman-Haggerty was next to open the second round; she fired a powerful penalty down the middle that bounced under the crossbar. Defender Tilly Wilkes took the Tigers lead and shot to her right, but Orkus guessed the right path and denied Wilkes, to give the Rebels a 1-0 lead after two rounds.

The third round started with forward Aubrey Mister taking over for the Rebels and sending a hard shot to the right. Swift guessed right, but Mister’s ball hit with too much pace and wormed its way through her and into the back of the net to give Ole Miss a 2-0 lead. Midfielder Brenna McPartlan headed for the penalty shot and fired a shot to the left, but it was off target and sailed over the crossbar.

Price Loposer stepped up the match-winning chance for Ole Miss and did it, sending a shot into the left corner that was too good for Swift to stop. The Rebels took the shootout victory at 3-0 and advanced to the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament.

Outside of the penalty shootout, the match was a draw. Ole Miss had 16 shots to LSU’s 15. Both teams had three shots on target and both goalies finished with three saves.

Comments are closed.