Gembogl farmers have access to the market with a new point of purchase

BY MAL TAIME

The Gembogl district in Chimbu province, located at the foot of Mount Wilhelm, is known for growing organic cash crops such as bulb onions, potatoes, carrots and more that supply local markets.

According to a local farmer, Paul Minge, who brought some of his cash crops with others to Minj in Jiwaka province to attend the official opening of the Jiwaka fresh produce purchase point, they were able to bring their own. crops and sell them at the point of purchase.

Jiwaka Fresh Food Purchase Point is an initiative of the Jiwaka Provincial Government through the Jiwaka Development Corporation and Israel Innovative Agro Industry Ltd.

The people of Jiwaka, through their provincial government, own 70 percent of the point of purchase of fresh produce in Minj, and Israel’s innovative food industry holds the remaining 30 percent.

Mr Minge said the people of Gembogl are lucky as most of them are involved in the agricultural sector as it is the only avenue that allows them to generate income to meet all the needs of their family.

He claimed that they cultivated many cash crops in Gembogl, but faced problems with the markets and were now lucky as they would bring their crops to Minj and sell them.

He said that they had now found a market to sell their crops and that they would no longer have a problem accessing markets.

Comments are closed.